Saturday, April 5, 2014

Who is Student? My Son or We?- Ambitious project

What an experience we are going through. Last few months have been terrific, with mind and soul busy overtime. Mind was concerned about Son's prospects and soul was concerned about the pressure we were building on him.

He is paying for being of genre X and we being pseudo close follower. I always yell loud, from top of my voice, that I am not a 'pujari' of marks. I claim to be bothered only to see that kids groom into good human being, but have realized of late how big an hypocrite I am.

Two months, I grilled him to study hard to score well and slap on the face of all adversaries who wrote him off as non-performer. I am not sure if he was anyway concerned by all these criticisms, flowing in from different quarters, as he fully enjoyed the flow in abundance of his creative juices. But, certainly, it was my ego that was forcing me to pep talk him, motivate him with fancy promises and threatening comparisons, to belie their prophecy. 'See, I am not worried if you score average after toiling hard. But, certainly, I will not appreciate if you don't pull up your socks and take up the challenge!', I would repeatedly remind him. With him, me and my wife worked equally hard. We surely had many sleepless nights to ensure that he comes back home after papers to inform that he wrote well. And, now we are waiting eagerly, crossed fingers for months, for the final results, hoping that he will score as he said. Though, again I keep telling him that he has put his best, worked exceptionally hard, so what marks he gets doesn't matter. However, I am unsure if I am honest.

We had hardly done with his exams that circumstances forced us to get him enrolled into new board of exams, for XI and XII, IGCSE- Cambridge course. Again we asked him to take another challenge, for the pattern is totally different than what he pursued for decade, and already three and half months course had been covered. Besides, we prompted him to take sociology, which has to be exclusively taught by me, for absence of faculty in the school. How horrifying it is for him, only we as a family can comprehend, as he detests to be tutored by me. It is a challenge for me too, as I have to study double than him to teach him, with all inertia in place. My wife has decided to take up History, and we together to work on Psycho, Economics and  English. The house looks to be as crazy research center, where everyone has his own mind, and still wanting to synergize by harmonizing efforts.

God bless this lot of students of different generation working together!


2 comments:

  1. Very nicely written..looks this challenge has transformed.all...with such hard work end result should be good. Hard work pays off some or other day.

    ReplyDelete