Wednesday, September 29, 2010

FLAG MARCH

I was in a fix when I received a call from a student, dear to me, with a very peculiar request "Can I join you in the flag march". I had few words to explain my predicament. For him (perhaps), Flag March was an interesting sight with dozens of vehicles blaring hooter at full volume, sliding through on road at snails pace, with law enforcement peeping through the glass panes of vehicles with fixed warning 'no nonsense' stare. I would love to sit with that dear boy and understand his state of mind when he put me in that awkward situation by throwing this unexpected request. Was there an element of glamour or power that attracted him? I had no choice but to turn down politely. "Sorry, can't get you in, midway" was my weak excuse.

“Where are you” was another call from a learned friend. “Flag marching” was my crisp reply loaded with pride for being part of force entrusted to ensure peace and tranquility. “Are you not spreading tension? Your flag march is in fact making a non-knower realize that things are not normal. You are doing more harm than good” He quipped. How could I explain him how much psychological and physical pain we were taking to do this exercise. There was hell of men, money, material and energy involved in organizing this operation. And, the intention was undoubtedly benevolent.

Here I am not discussing the pros and cons of FLAG MARCH, but would merely add, we honestly wish that peace and tranquility prevails.

3 comments:

  1. Flag Marches are welcome. but, when done on a UN mission with an Indian flag. may be I welcome Flag MARCH with Indian flags in our neighborhood too.

    But, The flag march you guys are doing now days is really unfortunate and make our image as a pre WW nation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously in my views FLAG MARCH is the only way to show the element of power...which could fascinate any one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. certainly ayush.. flag march is nothing but virtually a state goonda raj, a show of power...As you see in bollywood movies, dons moving in market flashing their swords and knives, swearing at everyone threatening of dire consequences, so do we do, threaten people of worst if they try to violate law, disturb the peace and harmony in society

    ReplyDelete